What we believe
Most of us celebrate CHRISTmas - when God became a human being in Christ; he did this in order to die and pay the penalty and consequences of all our wrong attitudes, actions, priorities and words etc. By his resurrection - which most of us celebrate at Easter - Christ overcame death and sin. In our lives today, we can encounter the same Godly power that raised Jesus from the dead. But first, we need to genuinely repent and say sorry to God, turning from wrong things in our lives. Then we trust and believe in Jesus and receive the gift of New Life.
The following summary of beliefs is based on the EA statement of faith.
We believe in....
- The one true God who lives eternally in unity as the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
- The love, grace and sovereignty of God in creating, sustaining, ruling, redeeming and judging the world.
- The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Bible that is fully trustworthy for faith and conduct.
- The dignity of all people, made male and female in God's image to love, be holy and care for creation, yet corrupted by sin, which incurs divine wrath and judgement.
- The incarnation of God's eternal Son, the Lord Jesus Christ - born of the virgin Mary; truly divine and truly human, yet without sin.
- The atoning sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross: dying in our place, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, so reconciling us with God.
- The resurrection of Jesus Christ, his reign and mediation as the only Saviour of the world.
- The justification of sinners by the grace of God through faith in Christ.
- The ministry of God the Holy Spirit, who leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our discipleship and enables our witness.
- The Church, the "body of Christ" both local and worldwide and the priesthood of all believers endowed with the Spirit's gifts to worship God and proclaim the gospel, promoting justice and love.
- The personal and visible return of Jesus Christ to fulfil the purposes of God, who will raise all people to judgement, bring eternal life to the redeemed and eternal condemnation to the lost, and establish a new heaven and new earth.